Who We Are
United Way of the Wine Country’s Women’s Leadership Council (WLC) has a simple mission: “Mobilize the caring power of women to advance the common good in our communities.” Our objective is to build and foster a powerful, passionate network of women who create impactful change in our community through focused investment of time, talent and resources.
United Way of the Wine Country’s WLC members believe education is the cornerstone for community success. Having a healthy life and stable income is dependent on quality education. WLC invests in research-based programs, such as School Readiness Backpacks (Kindergarten readiness) and Schools of Hope (third grade literacy).
When caring women LIVE UNITED, lives are changed.
Education starts with being prepared to learn. Research shows less than half (43%) of third graders in Sonoma County and less than a third (28%) of third graders in Mendocino County are reading at grade level. Children not proficient in reading by the end of third grade are four times less likely to graduate by age 19. Low early reading proficiency is also correlated to incarceration rates and is a predictor of adult income. To help children succeed in these critical years, WLC members:
- Improve children’s development and future success by supporting and promoting school readiness and third grade reading literacy.
- Advocate for issues affecting early childhood education.
- Participate in volunteer opportunities such as School Readiness Backpack Assembly and the Schools of Hope program.
- Raise awareness about school readiness and third grade reading literacy
Each member will make an annual undesignated gift to United Way of the Wine Country of $1,000. WLC members making an annual gift of $10,000 or more are invited to join the Tocqueville Society as a Woman Leader as well.
For members under 35, you can become a Women’s Leadership Council member through the Step-Up program. Start with a step-up gift starting at $500 that incrementally increases over a three-year period while you enjoy membership benefits starting year one.
Click here to fill out a pledge form and join the Women’s Leadership Council today!
From simply making a donation to attending events or participating on a committee – your involvement and participation is up to you.
- Network and form lasting relationships with women leaders while working together to improve lives locally
- Be an influential voice in driving positive, lasting change in our community
- Participate in exclusive Women’s Leadership Council events throughout the year, including the “Signature Event”
- Learn about key issues impacting our community
- Receive recognition as a philanthropic leader
To learn more or join the Women’s Leadership Council, please contact Dominique at 707.528.4485 ext. 136 or [email protected]
Women’s Leadership Council is proud to host events to bring awareness of the importance of early childhood education and to raise funds to support United Way’s programs and services related to early childhood education. Reading Between the Vines has been our signature event in 2016 and 2017 with almost $50,000 raised for area kids! We appreciate our sponsors, donors, and in-kind contributors who make this signature event possible.
Women in Philanthropy in the News
It’s no secret the powerful influence women have throughout our world. Which makes it no surprise the difference we’re making on philanthropic causes in Northern California and beyond. Here are some links discussing ways we are now and can continue to help shape the future of the charitable world.