Earnit Keepit Saveit Logo

Earn It! Keep It! $ave It!

United Way of the Wine Country’s
FREE tax support has helped local families
get back $73M in tax refunds.

URGENT: Volunteers Wanted

Please help make a real difference right here at home for local families and individuals by becoming a FREE tax filing volunteer.

  • FREE Training and Support
  • NOW through April tax season plus year-round opportunities
  • EXPERIENCED Tax Preparers always welcome
  • SEEKING Intake Coordinators at sites throughout Sonoma County

Please call our Community Impact Manager Ana Gouveia at 707-284-7074

FREE 2021-2022 Tax Preparation

  • FREE for households earning $66,000 or less
  • FREE support provided by certified tax preparers
  • FREE in-person or drop off tax preparation available

Need Your FREE ITIN?

For help applying for or renewing your Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN), please contact Catholic Charities at (707) 528-8712 x100.

Services NOT Available for:

  • Married couples who file separately
  • Self-employed individuals who:
    • …have employees
    • …have carry-over inventory
    • …had expenses greater than $35,000
    • …had a net loss for the year
    • …wish to claim home expenses
  • Victims of fire or other disaster who incurred “casualty loss”
    • For assistance, please contact Tax Aid SF at 229.9240
  • Filers who wish to include income/expenses related to:
    • Child Adoption
    • Farm or Foreign Income
    • Clergy Income
    • Bankruptcy

CALL to Make an Appointment:

  • Sonoma: Dial “2-1-1” and follow prompts to make appointment

For all other counties, please call the phone numbers below. If your call goes to voicemail, please leave a message with your name and phone number.

  • Mendocino/Lake: Call North Coast Opportunities at 707-467-3236
  • Willits: Call Nuestra Allianza de Willits at 707-456-9418
  • Humboldt & Del Norte: Call the Humboldt Senior Resource Center at 707-443-9747 x1240

Possible Special Credits:

You must file taxes to qualify for State and Federal Earned Income Tax Credits (EITC) and other valuable credits available to working families and individuals:

  • Did you pay for childcare/ dependent care?
    If so, bring information about the provider, including address, phone number, and EIN or Social Security number, if an individual
  • Do you own a home?
    If so, bring proof of mortgage interest and property tax information
  • Do you own a car and use it for work?
    If itemizing expenses instead of the standard deduction, bring proof of DMV tax expenses
  • Did you pay for education expenses, including tuition, fees, books, etc. for a student enrolled at an eligible educational institution?
    If so, bring Form 1098-T along with a list of expenses and associated receipts.

Bring to Your Appointment:

  • Original photo ID for taxpayer and spouse
  • Social Security card or ITIN for each person on tax return – copies accepted
  • Copies of your 2020 and 2019 tax returns
  • All tax forms including W-2 or 1099-MISC for all job – see full list of tax forms
  • Checking and/or savings account information including routing numbers for direct deposit refunds
  • Information about childcare provider(s)
  • Records of charitable contributions – bring receipts for all cash donations

For Tax Season 2021-22 – If you received advanced payments for the Child Tax Credit from July through December of 2021, you are required to bring your IRS letter #6419 to your tax appointment. If you received the Economic Impact Payment in 2021, you are required to bring your IRS Letter #6475.

List of Tax Forms

This list includes all possible tax forms. For your tax filing appointment, only bring the forms you receive for the 2021 tax year.

NOTE: Eligible filers may also receive FREE assistance filing taxes for 2019 and 2020. To do so, filers must bring income documents for each year AND make a separate appointment for each year.

  • W2 (salary income)
  • 1099-MISC (wages and pay)
  • 1098 (mortgage interest)
  • SSA-1099 (social security)
  • 1099-INT (savings interest)
  • 1099-G (unemployment benefits)
  • 1099R (pension and annuity)
  • 2021 unemployment documents

Free ONLINE Self-Filing Services:

If you prefer to prepare and file your own taxes:

  • My Free Taxes – FREE tax filing support up to $66,000 income limit
  • Get Your Refund – FREE tax filing support from IRS-certified volunteers