United Way of the Wine Country’s
FREE tax support has helped local families
get back $73M in tax refunds.
URGENT: Volunteers Wanted
Please help make a real difference right here at home for local families and individuals by becoming a FREE tax filing volunteer.
- FREE Training and Support
- NOW through April tax season plus year-round opportunities
- EXPERIENCED Tax Preparers always welcome
- SEEKING Intake Coordinators at sites throughout Sonoma County
Please call our Community Impact Manager Ana Gouveia at 707-284-7074
FREE 2021-2022 Tax Preparation
- FREE for households earning $66,000 or less
- FREE support provided by certified tax preparers
- FREE in-person or drop off tax preparation available
- U.S. CITIZENSHIP NOT REQUIRED
Need Your FREE ITIN?
For help applying for or renewing your Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN), please contact Catholic Charities at (707) 528-8712 x100.
Services NOT Available for:
- Married couples who file separately
- Self-employed individuals who:
- …have employees
- …have carry-over inventory
- …had expenses greater than $35,000
- …had a net loss for the year
- …wish to claim home expenses
- Victims of fire or other disaster who incurred “casualty loss”
- For assistance, please contact Tax Aid SF at 229.9240
- Filers who wish to include income/expenses related to:
- Child Adoption
- Farm or Foreign Income
- Clergy Income
CALL to Make an Appointment:
- Sonoma: Dial “2-1-1” and follow prompts to make appointment
For all other counties, please call the phone numbers below. If your call goes to voicemail, please leave a message with your name and phone number.
- Mendocino/Lake: Call North Coast Opportunities at 707-467-3236
- Willits: Call Nuestra Allianza de Willits at 707-456-9418
- Humboldt & Del Norte: Call the Humboldt Senior Resource Center at 707-443-9747 x1240
Possible Special Credits:
You must file taxes to qualify for State and Federal Earned Income Tax Credits (EITC) and other valuable credits available to working families and individuals:
- Did you pay for childcare/ dependent care?
If so, bring information about the provider, including address, phone number, and EIN or Social Security number, if an individual
- Do you own a home?
If so, bring proof of mortgage interest and property tax information
- Do you own a car and use it for work?
If itemizing expenses instead of the standard deduction, bring proof of DMV tax expenses
- Did you pay for education expenses, including tuition, fees, books, etc. for a student enrolled at an eligible educational institution?
If so, bring Form 1098-T along with a list of expenses and associated receipts.
Bring to Your Appointment:
- Original photo ID for taxpayer and spouse
- Social Security card or ITIN for each person on tax return – copies accepted
- Copies of your 2020 and 2019 tax returns
- All tax forms including W-2 or 1099-MISC for all job – see full list of tax forms
- Checking and/or savings account information including routing numbers for direct deposit refunds
- Information about childcare provider(s)
- Records of charitable contributions – bring receipts for all cash donations
For Tax Season 2021-22 – If you received advanced payments for the Child Tax Credit from July through December of 2021, you are required to bring your IRS letter #6419 to your tax appointment. If you received the Economic Impact Payment in 2021, you are required to bring your IRS Letter #6475.
Humboldt – Dial/Marque 2-1-1 or 707-441-1001
Del Norte – Dial/Marque 707-464-3069 EXT. 208
Mendocino/Lake – Dial/Marque 707-467-3236
Schedule your Mendocino/Lake appointment online by clicking here.
List of Tax Forms
This list includes all possible tax forms. For your tax filing appointment, only bring the forms you receive for the 2021 tax year.
NOTE: Eligible filers may also receive FREE assistance filing taxes for 2019 and 2020. To do so, filers must bring income documents for each year AND make a separate appointment for each year.
- W2 (salary income)
- 1099-MISC (wages and pay)
- 1098 (mortgage interest)
- SSA-1099 (social security)
- 1099-INT (savings interest)
- 1099-G (unemployment benefits)
- 1099R (pension and annuity)
- 2021 unemployment documents
Free ONLINE Self-Filing Services:
If you prefer to prepare and file your own taxes: